Monday, November 30, 2009

Chased by Turkeys and Chasing Pigs

I would like you to know the farm time was good times, well except when grandma would yell. Grandpa was always nice kind and gentle we did a lot of things together. Grandma reminded me of the time she had fixed one of those big farmer breakfast, potatoes, and gravy for breakfast. Grandma cooked sunny side up eggs for every breakfast cooked with 5 pounds of lard. How sick is that. I wanted hard eggs. I just couldn't stomach grandmas eggs. I complained a little, she barked at me, if you want hard eggs you cook them. Okay I said. I cracked me a couple eggs put them in a lard free pan. Eggs cooked just like I liked. This was my first involvement in the fast food business. I went to set down when Ted saw my eggs. He said Kenny can you fix me a couple of those eggs. Sure I said. Then grandpa piped up, I'll take a couple too. The crap had just hit the fan, Grandma said, fine you can cook all the eggs. Looking back now I realize I got my mental illness from my dad who got his from grandma. One of the fun things grandpa did to have fun with me was to pull me around the courtyard on a big inner tube with his tractor. Now grandpa raised turkeys and I mean a lot of turkeys. These turkeys were always in hot pursuit to catch me. Grandpa would let the turkeys get near, about to get me, then take off in a different direction. It was big fun for him. My clothes were always filthy when we played this game. I'd have to change into some fresh coveralls when we were done. By the way I wore coveralls as my main source of apparel even to school, at least in the fist grade. There is a story of Kenny and pigs near the the barn. Somehow I had gained access to a harmonica and did pursue a career in this musical field. I was blowing to the top of my lungs as I came around the barn right near the pigs. All of a sudden 6 big pigs scared out of their minds hit the fence holding them in. BAMM. They were gone. I chased them up in the orchards where they had gone. Convinced I could get them back to the pen I tried. But everything was to no avail. I finally had to give up on persuading them to go home. I dreaded that long walk back to the house to tell grandpa what I had done. It's sad to say but that beautiful summer day was the beginning and the end to my musical career down on the farm. One nice thing that Ted did for me as a kid down on the turkey farm had to do with straw. There was a big stack of straw, Ted took the bales of straw and made tunnels and an inspiring hideout, like a secret chamber. I had much fun with new maze of tunnels. Imagine what it was all about in the dark then one day as I crawled around in my tunnel way in the back I see 4 shinny eyes looking down at me. I can't tell you how scarred I got. I quickly scurried and crawled as fast as I could go to get out. It didn't detour me from having much fun. The one good thing Ted did was build the tunnel thing and of course all the firecrackers, lots of fun.

1 comment:

Judaloo said...

Hilarious!! I am just catching up on blogs, and this one is great!!