Hello Family,
Just to let you know I really like the daily reports off the computer. It seems like you are all right there but not. I like all the pictures and day to day commentary.
I generally live a normal life. I enjoy my four dogs. It’s impossible to keep them from barking outside the house. When they do I drag them back inside the house. They are especially the Bassets full size 65 pounds, and can they howl. They could be considered my late life children. What a pain sometimes. They are so sly anything not nailed down is taken outside and destroyed. The latest theft was a cheap Book of Mormon Darlene was reading. The Bassets have these incredible mouths. They can turn a simple book into 50,000 pieces of confetti. It took me an 1 ½ to clean it up. They’re so cute.
I write to you to let you know my feelings on volunteering especially where it concerns the welfare of people less fortune then you. I work 3 days a week at the cannery. It is a large operation. At peak business we can put 50 to 60 people to work, and put out 22,000 cans of food a day, that’s 2 shifts or 8 hours. We produce all the turkey and pears for the whole world. We will fill 30 semi loads of peas to be trucked to Salt Lake City. As you know the need is greater than it has ever been. The need for more volunteers has never been greater than now and the promise is that the need will be even greater. I have been at the cannery for going on 8 years now. I know that I bless lives every day, and my life also is bless greatly also. If you have time at all I would advise you to take time out of your already busy schedule to help the poor. After all it is one of your major responsibilities that we were all given. I can’t explain the feeling that comes to you when you help those that are less fortunate.
I would now tell you a little about our nursing home responsibilities. We hold a sacrament meeting just like in the ward building but a shorten version. I can only say that it has been a very humbling experience. I become over taken by the sprit each and every meeting. There are those old ladies who think I’m some kind of a holy man. I feel very much drained at the end of the meeting. Darlene and I love these ladies. We are also their home teachers. They are so appreciative of what ever we do for them. I even make cookies for each of them a couple of weeks ago. Its interesting the older I am becoming the more humble I am becoming and things I thought were big things are no longer anything. The chance to be of service for what ever reason only adds to the zest of your life. I know this is not what you remember of me when you when you were kids. I wish I had learned this earlier.
Well I said a little to you to let you know what I do every day that I live. Keep the fun information coming it makes me feel closer to all of you.
Love,
Dad
5 comments:
Great Post, dad! I know Darlene typed it for you, but at least we get to read your words. Janet was just saying the other day that she would like to see you (as in Ken Wood) post more things on there, so this is great! I too feel service is of the utmost importance. Maybe one year as a family we can do a service project at Christmas instead of exchange gifts. Ryan and I did that one year and it was the best Christmas we've ever had. Or maybe for Christmas, we could do a year long service project. Hmmm...I wonder how we could make that work. And on the shoes....shoes are very important! They must match! I think Ryan put the pink boots on her on purpose because he knows how important it is they match. He LOVES to push my buttons!! I guess Janet is right though...at least she had shoes on!
This was really fun to read. Thanks. I know there will be a time in my life when I can do more for others. Today it is just getting through the day with the many schedules and things needing done for my family and ward.
What every you do to benefit others is service. So your service now is your family and ward.
That was a great post. I (Rob) have worked at the cannery a few times, my first time was as a youth in Boise. I am so glad you get to do that so often.
Great Posting, It is good to see you have become hunble over the years. I think you found your calling as I have with me working with the disabled. Everyday I feel so good I get to make their life as normal as possible.
I don't think you have to come up with something to do to help others once a year but all through the year. A good suggestion is visiting a home of people who are disabled and learn where they have been. Be a friend to them. I have recrutied many staffs husbands to come and take the folks out for a hamburger and drink and it is amazing how they keep comming back to take them out. I think I found my calling in life.
Post a Comment